Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Jill brand: charming, engaging and darn lucky

I decided today to register my domain name, www.ajillstory.com. Before setting it up, I did some research, including Googling "ajillstory". I happened upon a thesis paper someone wrote that cited my blog as an example in her discussion on women's diaries and weblogs. I was immediately intrigued.

The Arts grad student described me as a young woman who writes about my adventures in embarking on a career, buying Truck, looking for my house and avoiding jury duty (Beattie 70). She gathers that most of my readers are likely the same friends I often write about, but my "charm and engaging writing style make my [her] blog enjoyable even for complete strangers" (Beattie).

You hear that? Charming and engaging. As I walked home in the rain from the store, these words put a warm and fuzzy tingle in my heart. I kind of needed that today.

Back at home, I pulled out my barbecue with plans of cooking a hamburger for supper. Dad and I put the thing together two weeks ago and I used it for the first time yesterday to grill a pork chop.

It's tricky to light. I had to give it a few tries last night before it got going. Tonight it was later by the time I got started, and despite the endorphins floating around in my blood from the flattering review, I was not feeling very patient to play around with getting the thing lit. So, I decided to take matters into my own hands and stick a lighter in the side.

It worked. Perfectly. I heard a whoosh and then a crackle. Crackle? Yes, crackle. It took maybe a second for me to realize the whoosh was from the grill, but the crackle was from me--I had singed my hair!

I ran inside to check the damages. My bangs on the right side had been touched along with my eyelashes. Oh dear. Oh my. Thankfully, my hair is a bit long right now and my hair style a bit ragged, so I cut off the damaged ends without making it look noticeable. I'm not sure about my eyelashes though. I'm hoping if I wear mascara nobody will see the difference. I still have eyelashes, they're just a bit shorter, blunt, and white on the ends. Thank God my contact didn't melt to my eyeball or something.

Charming indeed. Sometimes I have moments of brilliance, and sometimes I just have moments. I promise you, faithful readers (and I appreciate you all) life at ajillstory is never dull.

4 comments:

redlibrarian said...

I have to say that in amongst all my dull, work-related RSS feeds, I look forward to updates on yours the most. And don't feel bad about singeing your eyebrows (if you did) - we've all done it.

Congratulations on the citation, btw; we librarians get all warm and fuzzy when citations are in the picture.

sam.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Sam. Looking at the post again, I feel that I need to clarify my "I kind of needed that today" statement. I've spent a lot of years (a good 12 or 13) trying to be a strong, fearless female. My idol was the Sarah Michelle Gellar Buffy. Before that it was Nancy Drew. I think I am a pretty strong person, but that's not my dominating trait. I am the sweet girl. I used to think that wasn't worth anything, that it wasn't good enough, and I'd often feel defeated when someone would give me that label. I'm good with it now, but sometimes I still need the reminder that it's an okay thing to be. My new mantra these days is, "it's who I am, it's what I do."

D said...

Funny. Heather is a very good friend of mine and I helped her with her research. I'm a long-time reader of yours... its nice that you found her paper. :)

Anonymous said...

Well give a little wave to Heather for me, D. Y'know, I know that in other major urban centres, bloggers occasionally get together and meet offline. I'd really like to meet some other Winnipeg bloggers. If you know of anybody in your circle who would be interested in this, let me know.