Living a life that sometimes imitates fiction, this blog is a collection of one person's commitment to live a bloggable life, one that is rich in experiences and moments of inspiration while covering the spectrum of human emotions.
Friday, June 26, 2009
I am so done with this week
I think I killed one of the Sea Monkeys.
I was counting them this afternoon but could only find five. I counted again and again. Big Mac was there, the twins were there, Edgar was there and so was Pixel but I couldn't see Perry nor Chico. I peered closely at the bottom of the tank amongst the algae blooms that looked like trunkless trees, or green tumbleweed perhaps. I spotted Chico and then I saw Perry in the greenery. Perry was looking out at me but not moving. I sloshed the water a bit. Perry tipped to the side and then righted up again with the movements of the water. The tail did not flit about.
At first I thought that Perry was just stuck in the algae. I had seen Chico get stuck there earlier today. Chico's tail or perhaps string of poop seemed to get caught on the mossy green fluff. Chico flailed about trying to break free but it wasn't until Mac swam through Chico's tail and broke it that Chico was freed. So I sloshed the water again to see if I could dislodge Perry from the algae, but again Perry just tipped over sideways and then slowly bobbed back right-ways like one of those inflatable clown punching bags.
I rested my head in my right hand. Ouch. The spot above my eye was still bruised and tender to the touch. Had I done this? When I was oxygenating the tank today I noticed twice that a Sea Monkey got stuck to the side of the emptied container, the first time in the measuring cup, the second time in the tank. It was still wiggling so I just quickly poured the water back into the empty vessel and assumed nothing was critically traumatized. Maybe I was wrong? I stared at Perry's beady little Sea Monkey eyes with a heavy heart. How was I going to tell Michael?
My ankle was doing better. Yesterday when I got out of bed pain shot up my leg when I put weight on any part of my foot other than my heel. Once I got it wrapped in the Tensor bandage again though it felt a little better to step on. I figured I may as well go to work, maybe get it looked at by the nurse and baby it with some more ice and elevation. My dad kindly drove me in before he started his day. Some people were surprised to see me there, but you know me, I'm a lousy patient. Besides, I couldn't miss a day of bossing myself around. And what if something important had come up? Then I'd have to tell Michael that I killed one of his Sea Monkeys and I missed something important because I missed work on Wednesday because of a gimpy ankle I injured in a bar fight with some chick who was mad because her husband was hitting on me. Well come on, homewrecker bar fight or bus stop black outs? Which story really sounds like mine?
"We missed you yesterday Jill," Dave, the bus driver said to me this morning. It's nice to be missed. I wore my Nike runners to work and then changed into some kitten heels for around the office. The heels made me have to limp and I was even a little wobbly in them. By lunch time I had given up on following dress code and put my runners back on for some stability. Joanna didn't have to call me Hop Along any more.
I was mad yesterday because I had to miss my Yoga Booty Ballet class. It was supposed to be the last one until fall time as the instructor is going to Italy for two months. I had wanted to give her a card to express my appreciation for the class and her fun spirit. When I started that class I was broken, but it didn't take long for it to help me find my strength and sense of beauty again. That class was a gift that came to me when I really needed it. Yesterday I had to miss it because I was physically broken, or, well, busted somewhat. Sweet Jesus all this giveth and taketh away shit as of late is making me dizzy.
Reflecting upon the ups and downs I've had over the past eight months or so, I said to Joanna at lunch yesterday, "maybe life just decided I needed to go through a few tests before I could go on to the next level, y'know?" I think sometimes we just need a little shake up to push us into something new, make us grow. Normally though I only get about one test a year. Like the job search or the house search. It's been weird lately. I must be on the accelerated track for gifted life learners.
It's supposed to rain all weekend but that's okay with me. It will give me the chance to stay in, read, write and think of how I'm going to tell Michael about Perry on Monday. Maybe I'll play up the limp for sympathy first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment