Thursday, August 16, 2007

Prince Charming and Little Miss Not-so-Much

I know, summer is winding down, days are cooling off. Did you read any trashy novels? Did you have that summer fling with the hottie at the beach? No? Well, neither did I. But I do have another one of my infamous boy stories for you.

About two weeks ago I had a random guy add me as a friend on Facebook. I figured he was random but I played coy and asked if I knew him. The Facebook Flirt replied,

this is a random hello sweetheart ;) sorry we do not know each other yet
I checked his profile closely. He is good looking, kind of Colin Farrell like. He has a big interest in horse racing and doesn't enjoy reading. There was mention of a long term hospital stay and something about drinking. Trouble incarnate was my first impression.

I noticed that he had a large number of Jills and Jillians in his friends list. I had to wonder if I was part of some new collection he was starting. Jills, or at least this one in particular, do not enjoy being part of a series. We like to stand apart. We are very competitive.

I questioned his intentions to which he answered,

noway, you are just way cute. i wanted to try and converse with you


I could tell this boy had it in his head that he could make me swoon. While the idea of a cocky and flirty boy is appealing, they never seem to have much going on past their arrogant outer shell and really are best left to the girls who want attention, not connection. However, I wasn't about to take lightly the fact that he thought he could play me because frankly, I know his game and I think I can play it better. He wanted a conversation? I was going to call his bluff. I replied with,

Online communication and internet based social networks have changed the way people build and maintain relationships. Discuss.

I figured he would give up right then and there. If it was an easy connection he was looking for, I was obviously not going to be the one to give it to him. He had added several other Jills after all, surely one of them was finding herself smitten with his charm. But he did not give up, he did not give in to my request either though. He asked for my MSN name so we could chat and presumably, discuss.

Still looking to prove my point, I gave my info to him.

The other day he caught me online. I asked him if I was going to get my conversation. I had to remind him of the topic, but he came through actually and we had a pretty good chat. He's really kind of sweet and says he's looking for a special girl. I told him he was a charming flirt and he was shocked.

"I find you extremely likable but not so much charming. See, that wasn't flirty," he said.

I laughed. I have never been so flattered and amused by a criticism. I took no offense as really I wasn't being my typical sweet self. Not this time. Not with another flirt. I had music on and at the time Stone Sour was playing an acoustic cover of a Chris Isaak song.

No I don't wanna fall in love
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
No I don't wanna fall in love
[This love is only gonna break your heart]
With you
Chris Isaak -- Wicked Games

***

I rode my bike to my parents that night. I really enjoyed the ride so when I came home I changed my Facebook status to "Jill is loving riding her bike again." Facebook Flirt right away sent me a message saying we could ride bikes together sometime. I replied today and agreed, on the condition of also stopping for ice cream. So I think we're going to meet up next week sometime. Who knows what may happen next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

oooooh.. this sounds interesting :) From someone who has done the online dating scene for a while.. I'm still a suck for attention so I always say 'go for it' :)